Charlotte, NC Weather Forecast: Storms with damaging winds

Several severe storms with damaging winds are expected in the Charlotte area and the foothills and mountains of North Carolina on Saturday, national forecasters said.

The potential for heavy rain prompted a flood watch for Mecklenburg and surrounding counties from noon until late at night.

“Multiple rounds of showers and thunderstorms will move through the area into the nighttime,” according to the NWS Hazardous Weather Warning. “Some storms could be severe with damaging winds being the main threat.”

Storms are expected to develop after 1 p.m. and continue through the night, according to the NWS Charlotte 9 a.m. forecast.

late afternoon, Winds of 40 mph Up to a half-inch of hail was reported west and northwest of the Charlotte area, including Rutherford, Alexander and northern Iredell counties, according to the NWS office in Greer, South Carolina.

Only light rain at times was reported in parts of the Charlotte area by early evening, including University City and Lake Norman.

The 7pm forecast showed that the chance of heavy rain during the day increased from 40% to 70% by Saturday evening. Heavy rain dumps could continue until about 3 a.m. Sunday, according to a forecast from the NWS office in Greer, South Carolina.

NWS meteorologists expect Sunday to have a 40% chance of thunderstorms and a 60% chance of rain throughout the day.

Forecasters said the work week should be mostly sunny, with a slight chance of thunderstorms late Wednesday.

Highs are expected to rise from 82 on Saturday and Sunday to 86 on Monday and 87 on Tuesday. Relief is on the way, forecasts showed, with highs expected to drop to 81 on Wednesday and 78 on Thursday and Friday.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

This story was originally published September 9, 2023 at 9:36 am.

Related stories from the Charlotte Observer

Joe Marusak has been a reporter for the Charlotte Observer since 1989 where he covered people, municipalities and major news events in the region, and was editor of the newspaper’s news desk. He currently reports on breaking news.
Support my work with a digital subscription

(tags for translation) Severe Storms

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *