Met Office hour-by-hour forecasts as the remnants of Cyclone Lee approaches Wales
Wales is set to bear the brunt of strong winds and heavy rain on Tuesday and Wednesday as the remnants of Cyclone Lee reach the UK. The Met Office says “heavier and more persistent” rain will fall in parts of Wales and northwest England, and there is a warning for gusts of up to 60mph.
Some surface water and river flooding is possible in these areas with a yellow weather warning in effect for most of both days. They say that over the course of 36 hours, between 50mm and 100mm of rain could fall in the warning areas.
The Department of Natural Resources Wales issued a single flood warning on Tuesday morning for the areas around the River Glaslyn and River Dwyradd in Gwynedd. You will find photos from the weekend deluge. Some speed restrictions have also been imposed on Britannia Bridge due to strong winds.
This is what the weather map for Wales looks like on Tuesday:
Below is the weather forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday:
A yellow warning for rain has begun 6am It covers a large part of Wales. It appears that the worst of the rain will hit Wales on Tuesday morning and Wednesday morning. You can see the areas affected by the weather warning here.
The Met Office forecast for Wales says: “Clouds and rain moving eastwards, becoming persistent and heavy over the hills, with some strong and gusty winds for all. Risk of coastal storms. Maximum temperature 18°C.”
Maps show there is a 90% chance of rain in Cardiff and a 95% chance of rain in Swansea, Carmarthen and Aberystwyth on Tuesday morning between 7am and noon. In North Wales, sunshine and showers will appear in Wrexham on Tuesday morning after heavy rain between 7am and 8am, while it looks like there will be a greater chance of showers in Gwynedd and Powys in the morning.
The Met Office weather warning will remain in place until 6pm on Wednesday, but heavier rain will move eastwards by Tuesday afternoon. Matt Taylor, a weather forecaster at BBC Breakfast, said: “It won’t rain all day. There will be some breaks but winds will still be a feature in Wales. We could see between 40 to 50mph, and even 60mph, around the hills.” And the coast. “.
Maps from Cardiff show a break in the rain between 2pm and 5pm, while in Swansea there will be sunshine and showers between 4pm and 7pm and in Aberystwyth the weather looks drier between 1pm and 9pm.
There is only a 10% chance of rain in Wrexham in the late afternoon but it looks like the rain will continue in Gwynedd through the afternoon with a 90% chance of rain falling between noon and 4pm.
The Met Office forecast for Wales says: “It will remain cloudy and windy through most of the evening with cloud thick enough for light rain or drizzle. By dawn, more heavy rain is approaching from the north-west. Mild night. Minimum temperature 14°C.” Mr Taylor said winds would remain a feature of Wales and parts of England overnight.
A yellow weather alert remains in effect most of Wednesday, not ending until 6 p.m. Mr Taylor explained that we still have a “low pressure area” controlling the weather with “thunderstorms possible” in Wales first.
Just look at this map for Wednesday morning:
The Met Office forecast for Wales says Wednesday will be: “Wet and windy at first with a band of heavy showers moving towards the south-east during the morning. Becoming drier and sunnier by the afternoon with a few showers. Winds easing later.” The maximum temperature is 19 degrees Celsius. “.
It is not expected to improve much this week. Later in the week, the Met Office forecast heavy rain and thunderstorms in some places during Thursday and Friday.
David Oliver, deputy chief forecaster at the Met Office, said: “Although the forecast contains the potential for further thundery showers later in the week, they are not expected to be as large as those seen over last weekend. “Some local influences should be noted.” is expected.”