Snow is coming this weekend, Utah, to the mountains and possibly the valleys

Snow is coming this weekend, Utah, to the mountains and possibly the valleys

The forecast also looks at weather conditions for the upcoming holiday week.

(Bethany Baker | The Salt Lake Tribune) Snow covers the mountains in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Oct. 26, 2023. A storm system will likely bring snow to the mountains on Sunday.

A widespread winter storm will impact most of Utah’s mountains this weekend, bringing snow to the mountains and a chance of snow on valley benches.

A winter storm warning has been issued for “all of our mountain areas,” the National Weather Service posted on X, formerly known as Twitter. In the southern end of the state, that monitoring began Saturday morning; In the north, monitoring will begin on Saturday evening.

The storm is expected to come in two waves. The first wave will hit on Saturday, with snow levels remaining high in the mountains, according to the Meteorological Department. The second wave, expected to hit Sunday, will include a “strong” cold front that could bring snow to the Valley benches.

How much snow is expected?

As for how much snow will fall, most central and northern mountains will receive between 8 and 12 inches, the weather service posted, though the Wasatch Mountains could see 14 inches, the Upper Cottonwood Valleys could see 16 inches, and the Upper Cottonwood Valleys could see 16 inches. Tushar Mountains 20 inches. .

As for snow in Utah’s northern valleys, the biggest chance will come late Sunday on the eastern benches in Salt Lake, Davis, Weber and Utah counties, “although that depends on how quickly snow levels drop, and whether the precipitation will end.” Before the valleys begin or not.” The weather service posted it could turn to snow. If snow falls on the benches, accumulation will likely be minor.

A high wind watch was issued for northwest Utah on Sunday, with winds reaching 60 mph from Sunday morning through Sunday evening, the weather service posted. These winds could create strong headwinds on State Route 30 and Interstate 80.

Holiday week forecast

In the Salt Lake City area, there is a 50% chance of rain and a high temperature of 50 degrees is expected on Saturday, according to the forecast. The storm will begin with rain on Saturday night, with the minimum temperature reaching 33 degrees. Sunday will bring a chance of snow, with a 100% chance of rain or snow during the day, and a chance of snow Sunday night that will start out at 60% and drop to 30% as the night progresses.

On Monday, the storm will be mostly cleared, but temperatures will still be cold, with a high of 36 degrees expected. Tuesday will be sunny but a little warmer, with a high of 42 degrees expected. Wednesday is also likely to be sunny, with temperatures expected to reach 45 degrees.

According to the Weather Channel forecast, which shows dates in the future, it will be a rainy Thanksgiving in Salt Lake City, with temperatures reaching 46 degrees.

In the St. George area, the storm is likely to bring rain. About 30% of rain is expected Saturday night. The expected chance of rain on Sunday begins at 70% and decreases to 40% as the day progresses, and the maximum temperature will be 58 degrees.

The storm will likely taper off Sunday night, leaving sunny weather for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, with highs in the upper 50s and lower 60s. Temperatures are unlikely to drop below freezing. The forecast for Thanksgiving looks mostly cloudy, with a high of 59 degrees.

(Tags for translation) Utah weather

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *